I’m going to Sydney in about a month for what will probably be the last time in a long while. This has got me thinking about what I want to do while I’m there, and because a few people I know seem to be heading over shortly I thought I’d post. (Warning it contains lots of eating and zero trips to Bondi.)
- The day has to start at fouratefive for breakfast/ brunch. The cafe is run by a lovely girl called Jess, and they have an out of date website which I need to fix. It can get pretty busy on the weekend but it’s worth waiting for a table. I’m not the only one who rates them – TimeOut gave them a five star review!
- After breakie I would do a spot of shopping and check out the smaller galleries. Seeing as you’re already in Surry Hills that’s a great place to begin. There’s a cute paper shop right next to fouratefive and further down Crown St is Outre Gallery and a bunch of vintage shops. If you wander into Chinatown there is also White Rabbit Gallery and Market City/ Paddy’s Markets which has tons of really cheap clothing. Then if you’re not from Australia you must make the obligatory trip to Myer, David Jones and of course Zara.
- From here I would catch a ferry across the harbour to Kirribilli. This is a great place to get pictures of the Opera House and Sydney skyline, also the ferry lands right near Luna Park which is kind of fun. Head up the road and grab a late lunch at Thai Fusion, seriously the number 40 (brandy chicken) deserves a post of it’s own.
- If your feet aren’t too sore you can walk back to the city across the Harbour Bridge. There are a few nice places in The Rocks to get an afternoon drink and if you’re not scared of bats (which I am) the Botanical Gardens are actually really beautiful. I also love St James Park, although not as much as it’s name sake. St Mary’s (the Cathedral across the road from there) has a statue of a nun standing over a little boy playing with an iPad 2!
- Ok ready to eat again? Around 8pm you must go to Elvis Pizza. I ordered takeaways from there for two years without ever going to the restaurant. Once I left Sydney I found out they have AN ELVIS IMPERSONATOR on the weekend!! I’m thinking I might have to leave Sophie’s wedding early (sorry love) just so I can experience this! The pizza is pretty great too.
- If you’re into going out there are a bunch of nice places in Surry Hills. My favourites were The Porthouse (for ale), The Winery (for vino) and Pocket Bar (for mojitos). I also suggest you check out The Ivy, it’s pretentious for a reason. That reason being there’s a fucking pool on the roof! My preferred visiting time is winter when there aren’t as many skanks up there.
I have to say I didn’t really like Sydney when I lived there, but I do miss it. I have this marvelous and geographically incorrect print by Matte Stephens on my wall to remind me of the place.